The College of Art and Built Environment formerly known as College of Architecture and Planning came into existence in January 2005 as part of the restructuring of the University into a Collegiate System. In the restructuring, the Faculty of Environmental and Development studies (FEDS) and the Institute of Land Management and Development (ILMAD) were merged to form the College.
FEDS comprised three teaching departments: Department of Architecture, department of Building Technology and Department of Housing and Planning Research. ILMAD comprised two departments, Department of Land Economy and the Land Resources Centre.
The college currently comprises two faculties, ten teaching Departments and one research institute:
Faculty of Art
- Department of Communication Design
- Department of General Art Studies
- Department of Painting and Sculpture
- Department of Integrated Rural Art/Industry
- Department of Industrial Art
- Department of Publishing Studies
Faculty of Built Environment
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Building Technology
- Department of Planning
- Department of Land Economy
- Centre of Excellence for Housing Studies